Wednesday, August 2, 2017

I'm Back - August 2, 2017

Writing Tip for the Week - Use A Timer

Every time I sit down to write I set a timer. Sometimes I set it to 15 minutes, sometimes 20, sometimes I set it to 30 minutes. It all depends on the time and energy I've got to work with on that particular day. My standard is 30 minutes and that's what I aim for most of the time, even if it's 10:30 at night and I'm exhausted.

Once I start the timer I'm not allowed to get up from my writing. I can't go get a glass of water, I can't get a snack, I can't check my phone. To prepare, I'll get that stuff ready before I start the timer. I'll have a glass of water or a cup of tea beside my writing, I'll have a little snack handy, I'll move my phone to some other room and turn it on silent. I'm like a sailor, prepared to go on a miniature journey.

Until the timer buzzes, I'm in lock down mode. Even if I'm not writing anything, I force myself to sit there staring at the screen or the empty page. And you know what I've found? When I do that, my mind gives in. Eventually, usually after a couple of minutes, it figures out that I'm not going to check Instagram and I'm not going to grab more chips and I'm not going to wander around the house aimlessly muttering to myself. It gives in and it starts helping me write.

Nine times out of ten, by the time the timer buzzes, I'm on a roll and I don't want to stop writing. That happens at least 90% of the time, I keep going even after the timer has gone off. Eventually I'll get up and stretch and get some more water and replenish my snack, but by that time I've got something down, I've moved the story forward.

Using a timer has been a massive help to me as a writer. Give it a try and see how it goes. I'd love to hear if it worked for you too.


No comments:

Post a Comment